Re: oprhan/zombie processes

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 15:42 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 09:14 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 12:55 +0000, tony.chamberlain@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > >
> > > Someone requested a list of orphaned and zombie processes.  I know
> > > that orphan processes have
> > > PPID of 1 so I can
> > >
> > >      ps -aeo user,pid,ppid,stime,time,state,command | awk '($3=="1" ||
> > > $6=="Z")'
> > >
> > > But this will also print all system processes because they also have
> > > PPID of 1.
> > > How can I find just the orphan processes
> > > (without | grep -v mgetty | grep -v init | grep -v this | grep -v that
> > > --
> >
> > "Zombie" is a well-defined process state (a process which is trying to
> > die but hasn't yet been able to tell its parent), but "orphan" is an
> > informal definition (a process with a dead parent, which is then adopted
> > by init, and is not a zombie). Unless you can distinguish all processes
> > which init "ought to have" and eliminate them from consideration,
> > there's no way to distinguish.

> Something funny about this discussion. Using ps, Zombie processes have a
> Z in Process State Column.

As I said, "Zombie" is a well-defined process state. Pay attention at
the back there :-)

The OP wants to distinguish between orphan processes (other than
zombies) and normal children of init. I'm saying there's no way to do
that other than deselecting the "normal" children via some kind of
whitelist.

poc