Re: oprhan/zombie processes

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 12:55 +0000, tony.chamberlain@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Someone requested a list of orphaned and zombie processes.  I know
> that orphan processes have
> PPID of 1 so I can
>
>      ps -aeo user,pid,ppid,stime,time,state,command | awk '($3=="1" ||
> $6=="Z")'
>
> But this will also print all system processes because they also have
> PPID of 1.
> How can I find just the orphan processes
> (without | grep -v mgetty | grep -v init | grep -v this | grep -v that
> | grep -v something_else | grep -v blahblahblah)?
> --

"Zombie" is a well-defined process state (a process which is trying to
die but hasn't yet been able to tell its parent), but "orphan" is an
informal definition (a process with a dead parent, which is then adopted
by init, and is not a zombie). Unless you can distinguish all processes
which init "ought to have" and eliminate them from consideration,
there's no way to distinguish.

poc