Re: openldap + kmail

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 14:32 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Timothy Murphy wrote:
>
> > I should have said that I'm hoping to maintain my address book
> > with phpLDAPadmin, which as far as I can see more or less forces one
> > to choose a standard schema.
> >
> > I guess the solution in my case is to get edit the LDIF
> > created by kaddressbook, and then keep the address book on my LDAP server.
>
> Sorry to reply to my own message,
> but I'm finding the use of openldap with kmail is still baffling me.
>
> I've set up an LDAP Address Book, and access it using phpLDAPadmin.
> I really like this setup, which meets all my requirements,
> and is very easy to use - adding new entries or editing old entries
> over the web is as simple as one could wish for.
>
> My only remaining problem is that I have not been able
> to access this address book through kmail/kaddressbook.
>
> When I go to KAddressBook=>Settings=>Configure KAddressBook
> and click on LDAP Lookup=>Add Host,
> I give my DN as "dc=www,dc=xyz,dc=com".
> If I choose Security: No and Authentication: Anonymous
> and click on Query Server, it appears to be accepted.
> A small window flashes up and disappears in a fraction of a second.
> The only thing I can read on it is "0%" (I think).
>
> If I change to Security: TLS then I get the error
> "LDAP server returned the error: Not Supported".
> If I change to Security: SSL I get a similar but different error.
>
> If I return to Security: No and choose Authentication: Simple
> I am asked for User and Password.
> I'm not sure what User is meant
> but as far as I can see whatever I give is accepted.
> (I try "Manager" which is the openldap "user" I specified
> when setting up the LDAP directory,
> with or without the password I gave then,
> and I also give my own username on the server,
> with and without the password;
> in all cases the entry seems to be accepted.)
>
> But if I now check the host I have given,
> and click on Apply and OK,
> I find nothing in the Address Book Browser - KaddressBook window
> which comes up.
> If I go to Tools=>Search for Addresses in Directory - KAddressBook
> and enter anything in the Search box, eg for Name,
> I get the error
> "LDAP server returned the error: Invalid DN syntax
> Additional info: invalid DN
> The LDAP URL was: ldap://www.xyz.com:389";.
>
> I've written out my experience above at some length
> largely for my own records,
> but if anyone has successfully accessed an address book
> on their openldap directory,
> I should be very grateful to learn their method.
>
> I might say that I am still awaiting the Gerald Carter book,
> but I guess in any case that this is a KMail issue
> rather than anything to do with LDAP.
>
> Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.
> (I'd be happy to give my true hostname
> if anyone is willing to try my LDAP server with their kmail.)
----
I use kdaddressbook with LDAP server throughout my organization.

quite simply - forget kmail at the moment and can you access via command
line because when you figure this out, the kmail setup should be
obvious.

# authenticated example
ldapsearch -x -h your_ldap_server -D 'ROOTBINDDN_SET_IN_SLAPD_CONF' -W
'(cn=*)'

# anonymous example
ldapsearch -x -h your_ldap_server '(cn=*)'

When you get either/both to work, that is how you setup kaddressbook

If you have another user that can authenticate, you can change the
authentication example to that user.

Craig