Re: OT: Programming in C

g wrote:

Bill Davidsen wrote:
Heard of it, had a friend who was a big DRDOS user, you missed me asking
him by a few months, he just died.

my condolences on lost of your friend.

drdos, do not recall which version, but it was just before msbsdos, had a
a 3 key combo that when entered, it would display os version.

bg disassembled drdos, made changes and repackaged it and released it as
'his' msdos version of cp/m.

a user of drdos bought a copy and while using it, noted that there was a lot
of similarity to drdos. out of curiosity, he pressed the 3 key combo and up
popped 'drdos ver. x.xx' (do not recall version), after which he contacted
digital research and informed them.

being that digital research's owner was friends with bg, he told bg that he
was a bad boy and that if he would make changes, they would not sue him, so
bg made changes and released a new version. rest is history and a loss of
digital research.

I confess I don't recall hearing about msbsdos, even though I was tracking much of that stuff at the time, since I was doing both hardware and software evaluations. But there are a lot of odd stories which are true, so anything is possible.

For instance, I used to use S100 computers for industrial control, both 8085, Z80, and 8088 (from Seattle Computers). Seattle Computers came out with a 16 bit board for S100, and needed software for it, so they had one of their software guys sit down and write a CP/M clone from scratch, called QDOS (quick and dirty OS). Microsoft bought the rights to that for cheap (as reported in various articles of the day) and called it MSDOS...

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>