Re: OT: Programming in C

Matthew Saltzman wrote:
On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 15:27 -0400, Steven W. Orr wrote:
On Tuesday, Apr 8th 2008 at 13:39 -0000, quoth Les:

=>On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 09:39 -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
=>> max bianco wrote:
=>> > I want to learn C and I know there are quite a few programmers on this
=>> > list.  I am looking for a couple of good books on learning C. I am not
=>> > exactly a beginner but I am no expert and i would like to start going
=>> > over everything from scratch. One thing I've noticed over the years is that the majority of C coders out there, no matter how good they are, never really master the ability to composed and decompose complex declarations and references. I don't say this in a perjorative fashion, but I see it a lot and it's important to be able to distinguish between an array of pointers to integers and a pointer to an array of integers, i.e.,

int *foo[10];
int (*foo)[10];

Going through K&R is standard, but this is a basic complaint I've had for a long time.

This comment reminded me of the fabulously useful little utility cdecl
(and its cousin c++decl) which translates between the English
description of a declaration in C (resp. C++) and the actual C (resp.
C++) code itself.

So I went to try them and discovered they weren't installed.

So I went to install them and discovered that they are no longer in the
repository.

That's a shame.  Anyone know why they were dropped?

I found six places to D/L the "source" for cdecl, none of which will compile on FC6 or FC8. I am going to try the sources from RH9 as soon as I pull them off an old CD, if that doesn't work I will beat on the sources I have, which I'm sure can be gotten working with minimal effort, although they are all 1996 or 2001 versions.

If someone else finds a copy which compiles out of the box, let me know, I can't seem to find the old Fedora source archives where my bookmark leads me.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>