Re: Wither pirut?

On Sun, 2008-04-27 at 16:25 -0400, G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:
> Why has pirut been dumped?
>
> According to the wiki, it was supposed to remain as an alternative to
> Package-kit but it has been obsoleted and removed from rawhide and the
> preview release completely.
>
> Someone in a position to know needs to explain the vendetta that has
> left us with the POS that is gnome-packagekit.

PackageKit is a very young project still, and is improving under the
Gnome umbrella. It actually isn't a bad interface either imo, my only
complaint so far is it's impossible to install more than 1 package at a
time. Very annoying, who really wants to use a separate tool frequently
for ONE package? This should be handled like system-config-packages used
to be, not in a large interface.

I can't think of a single use case where using the current Add/Remove
Software interface of PackageKit is beneficial or an improvement over
previous attempts.

I think Fedora should have stuck with Pirut while the PackageKit guys
complete an interface for installing/removing multiple packages, but
left PackageKit to replace Pup[let].