Re: low power tv

From: "max" <maximilianbianco@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, 2008, April 17 20:31

g wrote:

I thought some political genius or court decided that the air was public domain. Anyway it ought to be!! Phuch the FCC.( I am trying to master "Raining Blood" by Slayer on Guitar Hero 3, hence my anti social behavior! ; )

Max

Now THAT is extreme gratuitous twittery worthy of a body slam. I wish I
had the time to do it properly. Your opinion is all too common. It is
absolutely wrong.

Without some regulation no communications happen at all. Nearly 50 years
of experience on various parts of the RF spectrum suggest that is an
understatement. RF spectrum is an excruciatingly limited commodity. It
must be used and reused carefully lest the resultant jamming levels drive
a power war. You and I cannot afford the kind of power that COULD be
deployed to render us incapable of communicating. Broadcast stations
would use megawatts and simply drown us little folks out unless we are
far enough over the horizon at VHF frequencies and higher. Areas like the
Los Angeles basin would become interesting proofs that pure ideological
Libertarianism does not work. (Nor, I add here as a disclaimer, does any
other named "ism" for that matter.)

If you insist that I am wrong be prepared to attack me with suitable
background and mathematics. Start with Shannon's channel capacity theory.
Then progress through various modulation techniques so that you can
adequately discuss anti-jamming technology and anti-anti-jamming
technology. (ECCM and ECCCM respectively, although the ECCCM acronym
is an unofficial jest because it simply becomes "ECM" and you loop
ECM->ECCM, ECCM->ECM, lather, rinse, repeat.)

That said, you are doubly a twit because you shoot your mouth off without
adequately understanding what you are shooting your mouth off about. These
people are FCC approved. They use LEGAL directive antennas. They do NOT get
a 15 mile radius omnidirectional coverage.

That said, if I was not a gentle-being, they are constrained to part 15.
I'm not. For some of the spectrum they are using I am licensed to use a
considerably higher level of signal. So I could put a power amplifier on
the output of the WiFi chip driving apparatus similar to theirs and start
networking to friends across large portions of the LA basin while drowning
out lower power efforts over a pretty wide range. But I fear the 1.5 kW
station, while legal, would be expensive to build. {^_-}

(Of course, when I saw the claim I was motivated to belly-ache. But long
experience suggested I pause and make sure I was complaining about
something legitimate. They are within the law. Therefore, to the extent
that I do not NEED to use high power on those frequencies it is polite of
me not to. I suspect a civilization of people with this sort of attitude
could live nicely by Libertarian ideals, a situation I really wish existed.
Alas, people are not inherently polite enough. Fuggheads exist and live for
no better reason than to jam other people who are trying to communicate.
Thus it is wise to have rules and regulations. And if some of that
regulation is bad it is still better than none at all. And, yes, the FCC
is royally messed up.)

{^_^}