Re: gcc updates

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008, don fisher wrote:

When are the versions of gcc components included in the devel repository added to the standard distribution. The current version of gfortran (4.1.2) is quite broken. I tried to upgrade from the devel repository, but that failed due to missing dependencies. I think that once the gcc was updated, almost everything else that links to the library was included by yum.

"quite broken" is vague. RedHat does backport fixes -- did you report the problem to BugZilla?

Unless your boss says you can only use stuff packaged for Fedora you
have a number of options:

1. you can install a newer version from OpenPkg.org (they list 4.2, 4.3, and 4.4 versions, with 4.2.3 as "core" and 4.3.0 as "evaluation"). I have been using gcc-g++ 4.2.3 in F8.

2. you can install a commercial compiler (Intel and/or Sun)

3. you can build a new compiler from sources. It is generally not that hard to build a new minor version of gcc et al using your current compiler. Major version changes are not as simple, as they require upgrades to libraries and other tools (binutils). See: <http://gcc.gnu.org/install/prerequisites.html> (Last modified 2008-04-04) for current details.

Is there a path to request such an upgrade?

The release notes provide a link:

<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugsAndFeatureRequests>

--
George N. White III  <aa056@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>