Re: fedora 8 hacked?

tom lee wrote:
2008/4/25 Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Your root filesystem probably got corrupted. When the kernel detects
filesystem corruption, the partition usually gets remounted read-only.

Run "shutdown -r -F now". This will reboot and refsck your root partition.

I tried "reboot" before and it got nput/output error. has to power off
and on machine for rebooting.
right now, the machien is in use and I cannot shut it down for
testing. maybe later.

it looks that it renders all partition as read-only. I don't like such
a design. if it crashes, let it crash. why remounting as read-only to
play smart?  it is better to reboot with "showdown -r -F now" right
away
rather than getting into such a dumb read-only stage that nobody knows
that it has something wrong right away. it took one day to know that
this OS has the problem.

Because, if you keep writing to a corrupted filesystem you can end up destroying the entire filesystem completely and lose *ALL* of your data and that is worse.

The problem is that it may or may not crash before it destroys the filesystem competely, and if the OS is written robustly it should not crash just because the filesystem tables are corrupted (and Linux has done some testing with something that puts random data on the filesystem to make sure that it does not crash in those random corrupted data cases).

From this perspective, I  think microsoft way of crasing is a better
design. at least you know some wrong right away and reboot the
computer automatically can get it fixed.

That was not their design, MS tends to try to work around errors rather than report the errors, so if then you get an error, it tries to cope and then you get a completely unrelated cryptic error that really tells you nothing. If if the crash said nothing useful to identify the failing component is it useless, you have no idea what to fix, just crashing tells someone nothing.

If you had checked dmesg there should have been a clear error indicating what happened, if all of the partitions on the filesystem were RO then I would suspect that the disk itself quit talking, next time make sure to check dmesg and see what it says.

                                  Roger