Re: rtl811/8168

On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 02:48 -0700, David Gehrt wrote:
> I have F8 running on an HP a6400f with an rtl8111/8168 10/100/1000
> Ethernet interface  for which the kernel installed the r8169 driver,
> which didn't work.  No matter what I tried the interface refused to
> transmit.
>
> I have seen several posts on the web, mostly from ubuntu people.  Is
> thee a fix for F8 (my kernel version on this system is still
> 2.6.23.1-42.fc8).

Apologies for the delay, I've been busy.

I ran into this myself recently, though on FreeBSD (although I would
have thought linux would have it licked by now). BSD doesn't have any
solution to this, even building the drivers didn't work. Realtek don't
make drivers, so only 3rd parties do it. The only solution I and others
have come up with is to install a supported card (rtl8139 is a nice

There are drivers out there, but I reckon you'll have to compile and
pray...

Good luck