Re: Why Restart & Shutdown Buttons on login screen

This thread has generated several questions. Let me see if I can answer a couple of them.

How do you stop Shutdown, Reboot, etc from being displayed at the login screen:

You can configure GDM (or the Display Manager of your choice) to display what you want. For GDM, you would look in /usr/share/gdm. I believe you would edit the defaults.conf file. You can use gdmsetup to control some of these things, but editing the setup file gives you finer control. You also have the option of choosing a theme that does not include them.

How can you control the ability to run the shutdown, reboot, etc commands by users.

You can modify the file in /etc/security/console.apps to control what conditions must be met to run the command. In other words, you can change the defaults that let the console user run the commands to instead require the root password. (Or that the user be a member of a specif group, or other conditions.)

One other thing to keep in mind - If you can get at the keyboard, the default action of hitting Ctrl-Alt-Delete is to run the shutdown command. If you want it to do something else, you need to edit /etc/inittab and change "ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -r now" to what you want the system to do.

Mikkel