Re: Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 10:55 AM, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 10:24 PM, gene horodecki <geneh@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>  > I have Ubuntu installed on my main home PC + a thinkpad T42 laptop, and
>  >  Fedora installed on another Thinkpad T42 laptop.  I have to say, I wish
>  >  I'd installed Fedora on my main PC as well.  Fedora feels much more
>  >  stable and robust to me then Ubuntu does.  I think a lot of people like
>  >  Ubuntu because they like Synaptec package manager.  I've installed Yumex
>  >  on Fedora and it does the exact same thing.
>  >
>  >
>  >  On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 23:13 -0400, max bianco wrote:
>  >
>  >
>  > > I am as guilty as anyone of breaking the rules, its just fun to do
>  >  > sometimes. I haven't been on this list very long but  I try to do as
>  >  > the romans do, in anycase lets do as the romans suggest and get back
>  >  > on topic.
>  >  >
>  >  > Someone said that ubuntu was better or apparently better than Fedora.
>  >  > I asked how and no one answered me. Now I am not saying that anyone
>  >  > must answer me, but if someone can tell me that would be great because
>  >  > i think i was the only one to question this statement, which implies
>  >  > that everyone else agrees with it, which of course makes me wonder why
>  >  > all of you use Fedora instead of ubuntu, or do you actually use
>  >  > Fedora?
>

>  I maybe should point out my sig... my desktop is still on F7... not
>  because I don't trust F8, just haven't had any time...
>
>  On the plus side my desktop is inside my home LAN, and has no
>  noticeable bit rot.. so it serves my needs perfectly.
>
>  If someone would like to sponsor a poor college student a new mobo +
>  cpu dual core combo... i would happily accept it though.

If only I had anything that new to spare. My mom gets buy with an
Emachine, one of first dual core P4's, I maxed out the RAM at 2gigs
and installed Werewolf. It purrs,like a kitten, but then she isn't a
power user either. My own is a dual core Athlon 4200 with 3gigs, also
running Werewolf, I built that about , oh , 18 - 24 months ago? sounds
right. It was right around the time the socket AM2 had just come out.
My sense of time is skewed, I usually don't remember what day of the
week it is ; ) I bought my girlfriend a laptop for her birthday and
put F8 on  that too. My theory is that if i have to maintain it for
free then your running the OS of my choice! Plus I learn alot more
that way, though I expected to have to set up remote access to
administer my Mom's but she hasn't had any trouble out of it so I left
the ssh turned off and the remote desktop too. I get over there once a
week or so , now that I live close to home again. I'll tell you what
though, most of the cheap Vista boxes have at least 2 gb RAM now, and
your talking under $400 for the tower, by itself mind you, no
flatscreen or anything but definitely dual-core. I have a  p3 w/512
ram test box I use on a regular basis for experimentation and an old
k6-2 266 or 300 MHz that runs FreeNAS for storage, i think it used to
belong to my sister but she's moved on to a Mac now. I will get her
running Linux of some kind sooner or later. My Dad doesn't have a
computer but he doesn't care, I want to setup a Linux media  center
for him but first I need a decent box to get it running on, it'll
probably be awhile though. I've scrapped a couple of junkers, poor
things, just weren't worth the investment to keep them running. I can
probably still get some p3 boxes though for under $100 but only 256MB
RAM and a 10gb harddrive. Hardly media center quality. I got my F8 at
work too, she's a real trooper that box is, used and abused. Still
ticking and kicking!!

Max