Re: Problems with ifconfig in Fedora 8

On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 08:52 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 18:06 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> > > I hope yo mean you put /sbin and /usr/sbin in the path for users. These
> > > are already in the default path for root.
> >
> > I mean "for users becoming root via su without actually logging in as
> > root using 'su -'"
> We are either saying the same thing or your language is ill chosen. Any
> user who becomes root using su and has access to /sbin and /usr/sbin in
> his path, had that access before he typed su. When you type su you
> become root but with the user's environment.

I know that. What I'm trying to say, apparently without much success, is
that I modify the profile so that the user obtains root access with his
own environment *plus* /sbin and /usr/sbin, even if he didn't have them
before becoming root. The mods to /etc/bashrc only apply when the
effective id is 0 (same as with /etc/profile). Sorry if that wasn't
obvious.

poc