PPTP VPN

I am attempting to set up a VPN.  Here are the two machines:

Server: In public internet.  IP address 69.93.89.74 (NOT its real IP address.  I changed here for securioty reasons).
            Is on public network, but does NOT have second ethernet card on 192 network (YET).

Client: 192.168.5.100 (local machine) but can get out to the public network.

I am doing some experiments first.  The end goal is to have the server also on the 192 network, and to use the server
from home to get into the 192 network.

Right now I am using pptpconfig.  On the server I set this

# (Recommended)
localip 192.168.0.1
remoteip 192.168.0.234-238,192.168.0.245

When I use pptp from the client to the server, everything connects.  I cannot really test it this way since the client can
already access the outside internet.

What I did on the server was use NAT to translate something like 7.7.7.7 to some address on the public network where I can ssh.
I did an ssh -l tony 7.7.7.7 to verify that it was correctly translated, which it was.

Then on the client I added a route 7.7.7.7/32 (and I tried numbers other than 32) to go through my ppp0.  So theoretically, on
the client I should also be able to ssh -l tony 7.7.7.7 but when I tried that it didn't do anything.

Will the client not recognize nat?

Another question.  I also got this message:   pptpconfig: usepeerdns was set, but /{var/run,etc}/ppp/resolv.conf was not readable
I edited /var/run/ppp/resolv.conf (/etc/resolv.conf is symbolic link to it) and added what was on the server.  The first time afterwards
I tried to ppp to the server, I did not get that message and I did get a message about resolv.conf being replaced.  But the next
time I tried, I got pptpconfig: usepeerdns was set, but /{var/run,etc}/ppp/resolv.conf was not readable again.
So I am not sure I got that right.

Is there anyway to test this ppp while I am still waiting for the second ethernet connection?  (When I get the second connection I will first
put it on our 10.0.0.0/8 network which is not on the client, so I can test it that way).