Re: Firefox, flash, web page: Who's fault?

Tom Horsley wrote:
I've been noticing this a lot lately, and I wonder where to point the finger:

A web page will have a row of mouse-over menus. That row will be located
on the page over an area with flash content.

If I mouse over the menu, the menu gets drawn underneath the $#@! flash
content.

For example, I just checked si.com and saw this happen.

Is firefox screwing up the window stacking order? Is flash screwing up
the window stacking order? Are web page designers ignoring something
they are supposed to specify? I don't even know who to blame :-).

This is a known bug (at least, it's known to Macromedia/Adobe). The Linux version of Flash does not allow transparency. I remember this being mentioned back when Flash Linux was still in beta (the beta creators blamed it on Linux version Firefox, if I'm not mistaken).

There's no known universal workaround (from user-land). In most cases, you can click on the top level of the menu and the next page should show you a drilldown of choices. Other times, you'll have to disable Flash or adblock it.

On citicards.com, there are several layers of Flash overlaying each other. The only way to log in is to block the top one. My Adblock Plus rule for this is:
*citicards.com/cards/wv/swf/filter1.swf

As web developer, there's an ugly workaround:
http://blog.marcoos.com/2006/07/21/html-div-above-a-flash-animation-on-linux-its-possible/

Hope this helps.