Re: Consolidated eMail Server

On Monday 21 April 2008 19:00:17 Neal Becker wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Monday 21 April 2008 17:35:03 Gene Poole wrote:
> >> Group,
> >>
> >> I've got a small network of computers at home and over time I've
> >> accumulated several email addresses (actually 8 email addresses).  I
> >> would like to automate getting all of the mail from these various
> >> locations and place them on my server running Fedora 8 and use it as my
> >> 'consolidated'
> >> mail server.  I would then like to read my mail from any of the machines
> >> without downloading the mail to that machine (in other words leave the
> >> mail
> >> on my 'consolidated' mail server).  Does anyone know of a way to do
> >> this? Can this be done?
> >
> > Another variation - I see others have given you some ideas.
> >
> > My scheme is fetchmail > procmail with bogofilter embedded (to sort into
> > folders) > dovecot for the imap server > kmail (occasionally thunderbird)
> > to read mail.
> >
> > Fetchmail needs details of all your accounts and passwords.
> >
> > Postfix handles transport - I have it set to send internal mail without
> > going
> > out to the external addresses, and also to handle the smtp.  All these
> > are set up on the server box.  On the client box you point kmail or your
> > preferred reader to the server for both read and send.
> >
> > There's plenty of info on the web - if anything, too much.  The dovecot
> > wiki
> > is good.  Many of us use a similar setup, so we can always help with any
> > details you don't understand.
> > HTH
>
> This is similar to what I use, except I like the GUI in kmail for filtering
> into mailboxes, so I use my kmail client to do this.

KMail filtering is fine for local mail, but there are real problems with imap
mail.  It is not recommended to do that.

> On my server, I use maildrop to deliver the mail (instead of procmail),
> because it's easy to run through spamassassin on the way.  (I'm sure you
> could use procmail for this, but I find it's syntax annoying).

As always, it's a matter of preference.  I have a huge number of filters to
handle a huge number of folders.  Procmail suits me well.  When I discovered
that bogofilter would work embedded in it my joy was complete :-)

Anne