Re: Consolidated eMail Server

On Monday 21 April 2008 17:35:03 Gene Poole wrote:
> Group,
>
> I've got a small network of computers at home and over time I've
> accumulated several email addresses (actually 8 email addresses).  I would
> like to automate getting all of the mail from these various locations and
> place them on my server running Fedora 8 and use it as my 'consolidated'
> mail server.  I would then like to read my mail from any of the machines
> without downloading the mail to that machine (in other words leave the mail
> on my 'consolidated' mail server).  Does anyone know of a way to do this?
> Can this be done?

Another variation - I see others have given you some ideas.

My scheme is fetchmail > procmail with bogofilter embedded (to sort into
folders) > dovecot for the imap server > kmail (occasionally thunderbird) to
read mail.

Fetchmail needs details of all your accounts and passwords.

Postfix handles transport - I have it set to send internal mail without going
out to the external addresses, and also to handle the smtp.  All these are
set up on the server box.  On the client box you point kmail or your
preferred reader to the server for both read and send.

There's plenty of info on the web - if anything, too much.  The dovecot wiki
is good.  Many of us use a similar setup, so we can always help with any
details you don't understand.
HTH

Anne