Re: F8 update kills KDE

--- Anne Wilson <cannewilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Saturday 19 April 2008 20:00:18 Antonio Olivares
> wrote:
> >
> > I hate to disagree with you guys on this one.  KDE
> is
> > also given equal treatment in my own humble
> opinion.
> > Fedora is so committed to getting working that KDE
> > 4.0.3 is on Rawhide and while things might not be
> > trouble free in KDE, it is somewhat looking good.
> > However, most of the users here and some on
> rawhide do
> > not like KDE 4.0.X and they much rather have KDE
> 3.5.X
> > because it feels better, they are more acoustomed
> > it and if they had a choice once Fedora 9 is
> released
> > would switch to Gnome or XFCE.  KDE 4.0.X is a
> more of
> > a resource hog not that Gnome isnt, but Gnome runs
> > faster
>
> And of course it will be at least 6 months, and
> probably a year, before the
> real benefits of kde 4 are felt by most users.
> People generally don't want
> the pain if there isn't going to be an instant
> payback.
I agree with you here 100%

> > and even though many people like KDE, once the
> > new Fedora comes out, they will look other ways
> just
> > wait and see.
> > They will start complaing flooding complaints to
> the
> > list.  I like KDE alot along with Gnome, but
> because
> > of some thing or other, in Fedora 9 I forsee many
> > complaints from Fedora users across the world
> against
> > it.  They might ask for KDE 3.5.9/pre 4.0.X
> because it
> > just feels better than the new one.
> >

> > P.S.  I hope that the complaints do not happen
> because
> > developers do not deserve to hear the complaints,
> they
> > work very hard to make the software better, but
> for
> > many users the state of the new KDE is not as
> > appealing as the old KDE 3.5.X.  They would switch
> > Gnome/XFCE in a heartbeat if they cannot get the
> new
> > KDE to do what they were used to before.
> >
> There is always a resistance to change.  The reason
> I'm running rawhide is
> because it will be up to people like us to help
> others find ways of taming
> the beast, showing them that it really can do what
> they want - it just does
> it differently.
>
> I, too, have certain very specific needs to make my
> work-path pleasant.  I
> couldn't work out how to get it as I wanted, but
> with the help of developers
> it is doing so nicely.
>
> I fear you are right, but I hope that many people
> will have some patience and
> give the new ways a fair trial.
Yes, I hope that they give it a fair trial.

Still users will see that it takes longer to load then
the previous KDE, Gnome seems to load faster, although
I cannot make a fair comparison, but I have three
machines running Rawhide, I had two previous ones
running Rawhide.  Two out of the three are running
GNOME, KDE takes to long to get settled, and NM cycles
back and forth till it is connected.  On one of the
three I was running KDE, then the updates forced me to
GNOME, I refused and always ran swichdesk and asked
how to get KDE till I got it.  Then I tried it, had a
hard time getting along with it and switched to Gnome
on that machine.  If I boot straight into level 5, KDE
runs as default and If I boot into level 3, and type
startx, Gnome is the desktop.  It is weird, but that
is the way the machine runs.

I guess that is why you will be running Mandriva as
well on another machine/partition. This might be
because of the above mentioned things, but one needs
time to figure things out and things are going real
fast and sooner or later, we will be there upon the
release of Fedora 9 encountering these and many other
issues.

Regards,

Antonio