Re: F8 update kills KDE

On Saturday 19 April 2008 20:00:18 Antonio Olivares wrote:

> I hate to disagree with you guys on this one.  KDE is
> also given equal treatment in my own humble opinion.
> Fedora is so committed to getting working that KDE
> 4.0.3 is on Rawhide and while things might not be
> trouble free in KDE, it is somewhat looking good.
> However, most of the users here and some on rawhide do
> not like KDE 4.0.X and they much rather have KDE 3.5.X
> because it feels better, they are more acoustomed to
> it and if they had a choice once Fedora 9 is released
> would switch to Gnome or XFCE.  KDE 4.0.X is a more of
> a resource hog not that Gnome isnt, but Gnome runs
> faster

And of course it will be at least 6 months, and probably a year, before the
real benefits of kde 4 are felt by most users.  People generally don't want
the pain if there isn't going to be an instant payback.

> and even though many people like KDE, once the
> new Fedora comes out, they will look other ways just
> wait and see.
> They will start complaing flooding complaints to the
> list.  I like KDE alot along with Gnome, but because
> of some thing or other, in Fedora 9 I forsee many
> complaints from Fedora users across the world against
> it.  They might ask for KDE 3.5.9/pre 4.0.X because it
> just feels better than the new one.
>

> P.S.  I hope that the complaints do not happen because
> developers do not deserve to hear the complaints, they
> work very hard to make the software better, but for
> many users the state of the new KDE is not as
> appealing as the old KDE 3.5.X.  They would switch to
> Gnome/XFCE in a heartbeat if they cannot get the new
> KDE to do what they were used to before.

There is always a resistance to change.  The reason I'm running rawhide is
because it will be up to people like us to help others find ways of taming
the beast, showing them that it really can do what they want - it just does
it differently.

I, too, have certain very specific needs to make my work-path pleasant.  I
couldn't work out how to get it as I wanted, but with the help of developers
it is doing so nicely.

I fear you are right, but I hope that many people will have some patience and
give the new ways a fair trial.

Anne