Re: Samba won't dance [Solved - sort of]

On Fri April 18 2008, Craig White wrote:
> as for ports...
> netbios-ns      137/tcp                         # NETBIOS Name Service
> netbios-dgm     138/tcp                         # NETBIOS Datagram
> Service
>
> I saw neither these descriptions (tcp or udp) nor their 137/138 numbers
> appear in your iptables dump that you sent to the mail list. My
> deduction that these ports were not included in your firewall listing
> was simply noting the lack of presence of those ports in your listing.
>
> I believe that port 138 is only UDP traffic...don't know if TCP or UDP
> on port 137. I enable both TCP & UDP for smb traffic.

Since the subject still works for the following, even though it digresses from
where this odyssey has gone up to now, I'll note the current state:

With the corrections to my misconfigured network settings, including changing
the personal firewall settings on the machine that was being elected master
browser, to trust the local zone, and, fixing the hosts file on my Fedora PC,
matters have greatly improved.

The Fedora box now consistently sees most machines on the network - it's
strange; I say most, because there's one it's not seeing now, that it was
seeing previously - that is, it doesn't appear in any of the lists of my
workgroup shares; however, that machine can see the linux box, and is
reliably able to print to the shared printer on the Fedora box, as can all
the other machines on the lan

The Windows boxes can all see each other except for the one now invisible
machine as well, so, this obviously is not Samba, or Fedora per se. If I
enter the machine name in a Windows Explorer address bar, I can browse to the
invisible machine, but, I can't seem to do that from the Fedora machine -
but, that same invisible machine can see the Fedora machine, and print to its
printer as already stated.

Of the Windows boxes the Fedora machine can see, it can mount the shares on
one; the Windows boxes see each others' shares and readily list them, but the
Fedora box fails to list the shared directories except on one machine... On
the other machines, it just produces a 'timeout' on server message...

At several points in this conversation I've argued that Fedora's
implementation of Samba had issues, but at this point, my example is so
flawed that I'll say no more about that. I intend to try F9 from a fresh
install and see how that goes, once I sort out all these other network and
other problems.

But, to sum up the big remaining issue: why would Fedora be able to readily
mount shares on one XP machine, and not another, on my network? The only
difference between the two machines is that the one it can't mount is on the
wireless leg, while the one that works is directly plugged into the router as
is my Fedora machine...I have looked at the wireless settings on the router,
but there's not much there to configure once you allow a connection. I was
suspecting a mount problem, but, the fact that one of the machines does mount
seems to eliminate that; I am currently using the Fedora firewall, which has
an smb enable option and is clearly labeled as enabling traffic on 137, 138,
139, and 445... Any other suggestions on what I should try?

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA