Re: Problem with sata2 and raid1.

On 18/04/08 07:00, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 18:39:08 +0200,
  "Erik P. Olsen" <epodata@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
OK. I'll play around. I just need an answer to one question to get started. In my box I have two IDE disks and two sata-2 disks. I'll leave the IDE-disks untouched and install next fedora version on the sata disks in a raid 1 configuration. Now, when I do the system install how do I teach anaconda to read and write the sata disks?

Assuming you want normal software raid and not the dmraid, then you should
turn off raid for those devices in the bios. It might be a later step in
the boot process if its an addon card that has its own bios. That should
allow anaconda to see them as two separate disks. You'll need a /boot
partition that can be raid 1, but can't use encryption or lvm, and the
rest you do however you want.

The problem is that I don't know what I want except I want raid 1 and I haven't yet found out what the difference is between dmraid and what you call "normal software raid". I plan. however, in the near future to install fedora 8 on my IDE disks and then play with my sata disks in installing fedora 9 in different sorts of raid configurations. I hope that will teach me what the best solution will be for me.

--
Erik.