Re: Samba won't dance [Solved - sort of]

On Friday April 18 2008 9:18:25 am Craig White wrote:
> I don't use firestarter and haven't looked at it in years.
>
> as for ports...
> netbios-ns      137/tcp                         # NETBIOS Name
> Service netbios-dgm     138/tcp                         #
> NETBIOS Datagram Service
>
> I saw neither these descriptions (tcp or udp) nor their
> 137/138 numbers appear in your iptables dump that you sent to
> the mail list. My deduction that these ports were not included
> in your firewall listing was simply noting the lack of
> presence of those ports in your listing.
>
> I believe that port 138 is only UDP traffic...don't know if
> TCP or UDP on port 137. I enable both TCP & UDP for smb
> traffic.

OK -- it would be 'interesting' if the Firestarter folks didn't
know the above. I've been using it for years for simple
firewalling, and it's generally been very reliable. I've
configured Samba to work before just using the enable incoming
SMB option in Firestarter. If you say the iptables rules that
produced weren't sufficient, I'll take that into account if
troubles reappear and investigate further.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA