Re: What the H!!! is going on with Yum

---- Jim <mickeyboa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I wanted to remove and reinstall Alsa-* , but when I tell yum remove
> alsa it wanted to remove just about everything on the box as
> dependencies. It wanted to remove kde* and apps that had nothing to do
> with sound.
> Theres got to be a problem with Yum. What gives?
>
> I had to use rpm -e -nodeps alsa-*
>
> --

Yum is behaving perfectly correctly.  From the man page for yum:

     remove or erase
              Are  used  to  remove  the specified packages from the system as
              well as removing any packages which depend on the package  being
              removed.

It clearly states that it will remove any package that depends on the package you are trying to  to remove.  So if kde has alsa as a dependency it will get removed.  This is not a bug.

Paolo