Re: Samba won't dance (more info)

On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 22:11 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 April 2008 21:10:46 Craig White wrote:
> > Windows networking basics...
> >
> > Browser elections occur every 15 minutes.
> >
> > Browser election outcomes are influenced by 'os level' settings. You can
> > verify this by viewing the man page for smb.conf and going to 'os level'
> > section. I would also suggest that you read the section on 'preferred
> > master' just below as it explains this setting.
> >
> > Thus if you have a network server that you want to be master and be
> > capable of managing domain logons and be the domain controller (i.e. an
> > NT type PDC where you would intentionally 'join' Windows systems to the
> > domain)...
> >
> > os level         = 64
> > domain master    = yes
> > preferred master = yes
> > domain logons    = yes
> >
> > all other samba machines on the local subnet should not have any of
> > these values set.
> >
> > If you have a network server but don't care that it is capable of
> > managing domain logons and be a domain controller and have no intention
> > of joining Windows computer to a domain, probably the best setting is...
> >
> > os level         = 64
> > preferred master = yes
> >
> My server is set to os-level = 66 and preferred master=yes, so they are
> similar.  The client boxes, however, have os-level=33 and preferred
> master=no.  Is there actually any harm in that?
----
it would seem to be fine
----

> > and again, all other samba machines on the local subnet should not have
> > any of these values set.
> >
> > I tend to only set up as a PDC where Windows systems are 'joined' to the
> > domain and also use settings like 'wins support = yes' and make sure
> > that DHCP sets the WINS address for each client to ensure windows name
> > resolution is predictable. I am therefore less experienced with the
> > former setup.
>
> Back to even more basic, please.  I've never been in a situation of joining a
> windows domain, either as a linux client or a windows one, and I know little
> about domains.  I've tried reading, but am no wiser.  Without even the most
> basic understanding of the principle, the documentation makes no sense.
> Exactly what is the function gained from setting up as a PDC?
----
A lot of benefits actually...
- roaming profiles
- logon scripts
- single sign authentication to all domain resources
- consistent uid's across systems

There's more but these are the ones I consider eminently valuable and
accomplish essentially the same thing for Mac's and Linux systems on my
network(s) via ldap/autofs thought the single sign on thing for
Linux/Macs also requires kerberos.

Craig