Re: Samba won't dance (more info)

On Tuesday 15 April 2008 21:10:46 Craig White wrote:
> Windows networking basics...
>
> Browser elections occur every 15 minutes.
>
> Browser election outcomes are influenced by 'os level' settings. You can
> verify this by viewing the man page for smb.conf and going to 'os level'
> section. I would also suggest that you read the section on 'preferred
> master' just below as it explains this setting.
>
> Thus if you have a network server that you want to be master and be
> capable of managing domain logons and be the domain controller (i.e. an
> NT type PDC where you would intentionally 'join' Windows systems to the
> domain)...
>
> os level         = 64
> domain master    = yes
> preferred master = yes
> domain logons    = yes
>
> all other samba machines on the local subnet should not have any of
> these values set.
>
> If you have a network server but don't care that it is capable of
> managing domain logons and be a domain controller and have no intention
> of joining Windows computer to a domain, probably the best setting is...
>
> os level         = 64
> preferred master = yes

My server is set to os-level = 66 and preferred master=yes, so they are
similar.  The client boxes, however, have os-level=33 and preferred
master=no.  Is there actually any harm in that?

> and again, all other samba machines on the local subnet should not have
> any of these values set.
>
> I tend to only set up as a PDC where Windows systems are 'joined' to the
> domain and also use settings like 'wins support = yes' and make sure
> that DHCP sets the WINS address for each client to ensure windows name
> resolution is predictable. I am therefore less experienced with the
> former setup.

Back to even more basic, please.  I've never been in a situation of joining a
windows domain, either as a linux client or a windows one, and I know little
about domains.  I've tried reading, but am no wiser.  Without even the most
basic understanding of the principle, the documentation makes no sense.
Exactly what is the function gained from setting up as a PDC?

Anne