Re: Boot option question

Patrick Baldwin wrote:
Mark Haney wrote:
Patrick Baldwin wrote:

HTH.

It's a start. I did not explicitly run 'yum update' from the command line. I did, however, allow the system to update itself when it told
me via popup in the uper right corner there were two hundred and some
security updates.  I'm guessing this could be it, although confirmation
would be appreciated.  Is there any downside to having two kernels
available in /boot, besides taking up extra space and perhaps causing
a little user confusion?

Thanks,

Yes, the 'popup' update option is pretty much 'yum update' without going to the command line. Personally, I've run 'yum update' from the CLI more than using the GUI options available, but to each his own. And yes I am certain that's how you got the .24 kernel installed on your system.

There is no downside to having more than one kernel installed (in fact, at the moment, I have 3 installed on my dual boot laptop), in fact, it's all but a must, just in case the newest kernel doesn't boot on your hardware (or a module with that kernel doesn't work, etc, etc). This way you can fall back on an older /known good/ kernel to keep the system running.

Make sense?

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support