Re: LS-120 drive

On Monday 14 April 2008 05:44, Fred Erickson wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-04-13 at 20:10 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> > Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > I need to wipe some floppies before disposal.   I have a usb LS-120
> > > drive that I used to be able to use with linux, but it looks as though
> > > the drivers may no longer be in the kernel - it is of the vitage of zip
> > > drives.  Or maybe I just need some extra packages installed?  Can
> > > anyone help me get this working again?
> > >
> > > Anne
> >
> > If you have a large quantity of the disks, consider using a bulk
> > tape eraser, if you have one, or a magnet if you do not. It is much
> > faster, and does a better job. The erase heads on a disk drive are
> > not as wide as the write head, so you leave recoverable data behind.
> > (Something about not damaging adjacent tracks.)
> >
> > Mikkel
>
> And if you're really paranoid, take the disks outside, place them on the
> ground, point a lit propane torch at them. Crispy critters in no time at
> all :)
>
> Fred

I may well just physically destroy these disks, but all the same, I'd like to
get the device working again. There have been times when I found I needed
something that is on a floppy somewhere - and I still have some of the 128MB
disks with old data on.  I'd have to access them to get them transferred to a
CD.  It's just a useful fall-back device.

Ah well - another time, when there's nothing pressing :-)

Anne