X eats up my CPU

Hi,

on my Thinkpad R60 (with a Radeon X1400) I have the follwoing problem:

On all ati-specific drivers (radeon, radeonhd, fglrx) blitting
operations (moving windows, selecting multiple icons on the gnome
desktop, surfing websites with flash like www.spiegel.de) turn X to take
up to 100% of CPU usage.

Has anyone similar problems or is that a flaw in my GPU?

regards

christoph

(attached my xorg.conf)
# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "single head configuration"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
	InputDevice    "Synaptics" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "kbd"