From: Srikanth Konjarla [mailto:srikanth.konjarla@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, April 12, 2008 20:47
To: Fedora List
Subject: NVIDIA GPU and Fan

All,

I run Linux (Fedora 8 and Ubuntu 7.10) on two laptops that contain NVIDIA
GPU. One thing i have noticed is that the Fan is always running on both
laptops (Toshiba Tecra M5 and Averatec 7170). When i check for the CPU usage
it is normally (with Compiz running) less than 3% and would obviously spike
when any CPU intensive operations are performed.
When the CPU is high the Fan is high with lot of noise.

I am not sure but wondering how the Fan works in laptops which have embedded
GPU and is there a way to control the Fan. Also, is Compiz the reason for
such a behavior.

I use livna's NVIDIA driver on Fedora 8.

Thanks

Srikanth