Re: time lag between /sbin/ifconfig eth2 up and when interface becomes usable...

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 13:39:36 -0400,
  Gautam Thaker <gthaker@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
From my tests it appears that it takes between 4 to 6 seconds after the "up" command before my UDP packets actually start going out. The tests are between two machines with addresses 192.168.0.2 <---> 192.168.0.3.

Any hints welcome. The "/sbin/ifconfig eth2 up 192.168.0.2" command returns right away, but the interface is not ready to go for a few seconds. What can this be due to?

It might be waiting for a test to see if any other machine is using that IP
address on that subnet. The time delay seems to be reasonable for a timeout
to a whohas arp request. Looking at the network traffic should allow you
to refute this or add some more suggestive evidence that this is the cause.

Depending on the hardware, there may also be a delay while the hardware negotiates speed and duplex.

Mikkel