Re: some attack to fedora machine .

On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 13:18 +0300, Antti J. Huhtala wrote:
> to, 2008-04-10 kello 21:50 -0400, max kirjoitti:
> > Edwin Tan wrote:
> > > hi Subhodip,
> > > Please check below link for antivirus program download for linux.

> > > thanks.
> > >

> > Running virus scans is a waste of time. If you believe its compromised
> > wipe the drive and flash the bios. I don't mean just format and install
> > either. Write zeros (maybe more than once) to the harddrive. Make sure
> > the MBR does not survive. Do not backup anything! if you have something
> > that you absolutely cannot do with out, I don't mean MP3's either, then
> > back that up to a cd and label it clearly and scan only that, more than
> > once with multiple antivirus scanners, rootkit scanners, use windows and
> > Linux antivirus scanners and rootkit hunters. if these are something for
> > which you have a checksum then makesure that it matches the original no
> > matter what or shred it. Yes i mean physically shred or otherwise
> > destroy the cd. If the the files fail a single test, consider them
> > tainted and destroy them. Flash the bios because there are viruses that
> > will compromise the BIOS, these will be cross platform, they will affect
> > any machine with any OS. Make sure that any external drives that have
> > ever come into contact with the infected machine get the same treatment.
> > Wipe it completely clean!
> >
> > Max
> >
> A spot of overkill, perhaps?
>
> In my modest experience my Linux box has been compromised thŕee (3)
> times that I know of. The first was an RH 6.2 box, and my present box
> has been invaded twice, first during the FC6 era and then soon after my
> F8 installation last December.
> Each and every time the invader came in through ssh. Against my better
> judgement in installing F8 I allowed ssh to remain a "secure service" as
> suggested by the F8 installer. Well, it proved not to be.
>
> There seem to be some "sportsmen" out there who just can't resist the
> temptation of an open ssh port. Now, if I plan to use ssh to connect to
> my box from a remote location, I'm going to have iptables rules to allow
> ssh only from known addresses. Not very flexible, perhaps, but I don't
> want to allow these sportsmen in again.
>
> In each case, just wiping the installation clean and reinstalling with
> ssh port closed seems to have done the trick.
>
> My 2 c.

I'm not sure anyone's pointed this out as yet (not from what I've read
though), but the very fact there's a window$ box on the network is a
risk in itself. Window$ maybe Window$, and *nix *nix, but because window
$ is not as secure it is possible to gain use this to gain a foothold
and attack the *nix machine from the relative comfort of an armchair...

Given the monstrous number of attacks and exploits for M$ products it is
really a risk which can't be ignored. I'd be adjusting all possible
settings NOT to trust the M$ box- only if it can't be removed from the
scene altogether. And thats not just a hate/revenge thing.