Re: Using Webmin to Only Allow Access to Certain IP Addresses

On Thu, 2008-04-10 at 15:41 +1000, Langdon Stevenson wrote:
> Rick Bilonick wrote:
> > I used to use portsentry to limit access to my computer to only a few
> > other computers. Portsentry would only let computers with certain IP's
> > connect.
> >
> > Is there anyway to use Webmin to do this?
> >
> > Rick B.
>
> I use webmin for most administration on remote servers that I run.  If I
> was trying to achieve what you describe, then I would probably just use
> iptables:
>
>    Networking > Linux Firewall
>
> and add a rule at the start of the chain that limited the ip addresses
> that can connect.
>
> Just to clarrify: I have never done this, so you may need to do more
> than I have suggested to either make the computer accessible / secure.
> However I am sure that iptable can do what you want.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Regards,
> Langdon

I installed portsentry (even though the latest rpm is quite old) on my
F8 computer and also installed the portsentry Webmin module (.wbm).
Unfortunately, the Webmin module doesn't include the info from
hosts.deny and hosts.allow. But I had forgotten that all I need to do is
deny all and then allow just the IP's I want using these two files. So I
did this and it works perfectly.

Rick B.