Re: USB-based personal video recorder?

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008, Albert Graham wrote:

> Robert,
>
> I can't help but wonder why you have a signature that claims "Linux
> Consulting" but are afraid to install MythTV or any of it's
> derivatives.

  i didn't say i was "afraid" to install mythtv, i simply prefer to
tackle a simple task like getting a tv tuner to work.  with a smaller
project like that, i can feel more comfortable that i'll know what's
actually happening underneath once it works (i.e, the kernel or module
rebuild, etc.).

  with mythtv, it might work out of the box just fine, but that won't
help me appreciate *why* it works.  i prefer my experimentation in
bite-size pieces.

> Yet in this post you want to jump right into Fedora 9 Beta?

  once i got this working on f8, sure, i'd want to try the same thing
on f9beta just to see what changed.  i don't see the problem here.  if
there's a beta release of fedora available, i *frequently* try to do
something under that beta release just to see if anything critical has
changed from the previous official release.

> IMO, your are lacking direction ...

  well, albert, you do things *your* way, and i'll do things *my* way.
does that work for you?

rday

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.