Re: Punch cards

On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 10:16 +1000, Da Rock wrote:
> Ok, if I may go OT a little- what's your opinion of digital? Is it
> hard to maintain, because its certainly appears worth it?
>
> Also what is the difference in equipment for digital?

That's a broad question.  Digital what?

Our ABC has got into digital television over the last few years.
According to my inside sources, there's hardly a day goes that they
don't have to tinker with it.  I'm told that they ripped the whole lot
out and put something else in, just a year or so after starting.  The
old analogue gear hardly needed any attention paid to it, post
installation, and you could probably expect a good ten to twenty years
life out of some of the equipment.

They've had digital radio desks crap out while going live to air, and
had to reboot them.   Silence ensues...  They didn't have that problem
with analogue.  Now they have a second system, running hot, as a backup.

Standard definition digital television is worse than ordinary analogue
(it's actually less resolution, freezes and hiccups very badly where
you'd not even notice a reception problem with analogue, about the one
thing it doesn't have is ghosting, but you'll need good reception to get
a signal, anyway).  Again, the report coming back from the crew is that
looking at high def versus standard definition, there's nothing really
noticeably better on the monitors inside the station.

The analogue television is getting worse, now.  And that's digital's
fault.  There's extra transmission carriers for the digital television,
and we get intermodulation distortion on nearly all channels.  For
instance, on the few moments where the station broadcasts something
quiet (e.g. a lull moment in a movie), you can hear very obvious
horrible swishy noises.  They're present all the time, but harder to
notice.

I'm bloody sick of digital video (I work in video production).  There's
a plethora of incompatible, and usually unidentified formats (signal
wise, never mind recording mediums).  It's almost guaranteed that
there's going to be some sort of conversion done, and that's always bad
news for quality (whether that's adc - dac & back again, or between
different digital formats).

Then there's all the (not really) high definition Plasma and LCD TV sets
that look worse than a good quality analogue CRT set, and have a
plethora of stupid settings to work through...

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.