Re: Punch Cards.

> Tim wrote:
>> On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 13:28 -0700, David L. Gehrt wrote:
>>> The disk drive were pretty good EXCEPT the spindle bearings were made
>>> of
>>> some space age material prone  to disintegration after a short period
>>> of
>>> use.  I knew DEC  was going to be in trouble when  the repair guy
>>> stated
>>> that the problem we had with  those bearings was because we were
>>> running
>>> UNIX not DEC's VMS OS.
>>
>> I've heard similar bulldust about using Linux being the cause of some
>> problem that it couldn't possibly be.  It makes you wonder whether these
>> people believe their own rubbish, are incompetent, or think that you're
>> stupid.
>>
> Or just want to get out of warranty... there was an article (Slashdot
> IIRC) about HP voiding warranty on laptops converted to Linux, even
> though they sell similar models with Linux installed. Never checked it
> out, don't care, but I assume it's true.

They have never given me a problem about it.

HP does one thing that is REALLY annoying though.  They will flash your
laptop back to the base install OS, no matter what you are running.

I always keep a spare blank drive for them to screw up when I send it back
under warranty.

The last time I sent in my laptop they did not tighten down the heat sink
properly.  It finally failed.  I had to remove the heat sink, apply more
heat sink grease and rebuild.  Works fine now.