Re: Linux is KING - Couldn't be hacked - Mac, Vista went down in flames

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 12:29 AM, Da Rock <rock_on_the_web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 13:23 +0930, Tim wrote:
>  > On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 09:36 +1000, Da Rock wrote:
>  > > As for computers; what really gets on my goat is that they're not put to
>  > > full use. We originally put men on the moon with them, we have games
>  > > that are semi intelligent that we compete against, and YET we still use
>  > > them simply as a typewriter or communication device. Yes, they can be
>  > > used as this, but they have so much grunt these days they could be doing
>  > > the mundane of our tasks in life. Stupid M$ has made our machines dumb,
>  > > and our computers still run as slow as they did under 3.1 with all the
>  > > shit they put in the software.
>  > >
>  > > Thats why SETI and other boinc projects can use our collective wasted
>  > > computing power as a supercomputer more powerful than one put to
>  > > dedicated use. Really seems silly doesn't it? We dreamed of geek houses
>  > > in the seventies and eighties, and still we haven't got there- and not
>  > > due to the lack of technology...
>  >
>  > I tend to sway the other direction.  We're all too quick at throwing
>  > computing into areas where it doesn't really belong.  e.g. Schools seem
>  > to think that putting a computer somewhere is the answer, never mind
>  > that personal teaching would be more appropriate.  School's as much an
>  > exercise in learning social skills and doing what you're supposed to be
>  > doing, as it is in learning how to do math, etc.  And what do we do with
>  > the students sorely lacking in social skills?  Put them on a computer,
>  > often flying solo...
>  >
>  > Then there's the home situation.  In days gone past, the most difficult
>  > technical thing anyone had to do at home was get the television to show
>  > a decent picture.  Now we do have computers in media centres that make
>  > you jump through hoops to try and connect two devices together in a way
>  > that works.  Digital video that doesn't work across different things
>  > because of imcompatible techniques (I hesitate to refer to them as
>  > "standards").  Recorders that forever blink 12:00 at you.  Digital
>  > receivers that stutter and repeat where analogue receivers give near
>  > perfect results.  Computerised washing machines that aren't any better
>  > than the old ones, even worse if you want to do something simple like
>  > repeat one cycle because something went wrong.  And that Pile of Crap
>  > running Windows that spews viruses and spam around the world.
>  >
>  > Our leisure time has gone from enjoying the company of friends, reading
>  > a book, listening to music, watching a film, to spending lots of time
>  > and money maintaining a plethora of technology at home, or just putting
>  > up with it not working right.
>
>  So you'd throw the baby out with the bathwater here?

> [...]

It comes down to education. People put up with crap because they don't
know any better. The majority of the school system uses M$ Office and
pays for the privilege. They could easily use Open Office which is
free and the equal of M$ Office in everyway that counts. They could
save a ton of money, donate to help improve the project, and still
come out ahead. All the money saved could be invested where it
matters, like a working terminal on every student's desk.

Max