Re: NetworkManager: a tale of two laptops

Aaron Konstam wrote:

>> > You might look here:
>> >
>> > http://live.gnome.org/DarrenAlbers/NetworkManagerFAQ
>>
>> Thanks for the pointer.
>> I've looked through that, and don't see anything immediately helpful,
>> except perhaps the mention of VPN.
>> I said there was no difference between the laptops,
>> but I see now that I am running OpenVPN on elizabeth -
>> the laptop on which NM does not work -
>> while I'm not running it on mary, where NM works.
>>
>> I'll try disabling OpenVPN, and see if that helps.

> Well you found there was a difference between the two machines so that is
> a step
>  in the right direction.

Not really.
I stopped openvpn, and it did not have any effect;
NM still failed to connect.

> This remembering of the last AP connected to works on my laptop. It even
> remembers this for different network environments.

Yes, that is the case on my other laptops.
When NM works, it is quite good.
When it doesn't work, it provides no useful information
and I find it impossible to work out why it has failed.

There is no record from the AP that any attempt was made to connect to it.

I looked briefly at the source code,
but decided life was too short to disentangle this spaghetti.