Re: Sound on Fedora-8: what a mess!

Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo wrote:

>> > What exactly is the relation between pulseaudio and amarok?

>> In a nutshell: Amarok is an application for playing music. PulseAudio is
>> a layer that sits between the application and the hardware.
>
> Right, and thats not all: I dont know amarok, I use xmms. Xmms has a
> plugin which allows him to use the pulseaudio layer. Do you know whether
> amarok needs a plugin, or that capability is native?

I've no idea.
Just to recall: amarok played my CD perfectly
_after_ I killed pulseaudio.

> Again, fix pulseaudio first. Try (not as root)
>
> pulseaudio -k
> pulseaudio -D

Well, as I said I have killed pulseaudio.
But I'll start it again, and try these commands.

I'm not sure what pulseaudio offers me, though.
At present it has negative value in my case,
since its only effect, as far as I can see, is to prevent amarok working.