Re: Sound on Fedora-8: what a mess!

Am Freitag, den 04.04.2008, 11:14 -0700 schrieb Brian Mury:
> On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 14:29 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> > What exactly is the relation between pulseaudio and amarok?
> In a nutshell: Amarok is an application for playing music. PulseAudio is
> a layer that sits between the application and the hardware.

Right, and thats not all: I dont know amarok, I use xmms. Xmms has a
plugin which allows him to use the pulseaudio layer. Do you know whether
amarok needs a plugin, or that capability is native?

> > I see on my KDE system I also have KDE=>Multimedia=>CD Player
> > but I have no idea what application this refers to.
> > Clicking on it does not produce any sound, in any case.

Thats another problem. I suggest you to fix pulseaudio first.

> > unless one has more than one soundcard,
> > which surely is extremely rare.
> It is more common than you think. I have three sound cards in this
> computer.

Two soundcards at home. No problems.

> > RealPlayer, mplayer, helix, amarok, KsCD, KMix -
> > is there any end to this ...

Again, fix pulseaudio first. Try (not as root)

pulseaudio -k
pulseaudio -D

Greets!
Rodolfo Alcazar - rodolfo.alcazar@xxxxxxxxxxxx
otbits.blogspot.com / counter.li.org: #367962
"Die Beichte, nicht der Priester, erteilt uns die Absolution."
- Oscar Wilde