Re: DDNS and fedora

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 17:06 +1000, Da Rock wrote:
> My clients send their own hostnames (there is a reason for this).

Mine do, but they do so already without me having to do anything.  This
is on a private LAN where I handle all the hardware, so I do let the
clients tell the DHCP server what name to use.

The clients have a hostname set.
When they boot up, they look for a DHCP server to give them an IP.
The DHCP server gives them an IP, and acts as a go-between telling the
DNS server the client's hostname and IP address.

> According to all information available on the matter the dhclient.conf
> is where you need to set the dhclient -H option for automation. And I
> have tested this option manually and it works. So what do I have to
> hack to stop the stupid scripting from overriding this? Even the
> scripting information says to customise the conf file... but this
> doesn't work.
>
> Apparently the networking hasn't changed much since FC4, but if it
> matters I'm running 8.

I'll say it again, post your DHCP configuration files (server and
client).

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.