Re: Xorg.conf, What keeps changing Modes at Bootup

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 16:06 -0400, Jim wrote:
> FC7 , 2.6.23.15-83 , Radeon driver.
> I set the display setting in Aminstration > Display to 1024x768 and in
> xorg.conf I set the Modes "1024x768" and when I reboot box it keeps
> changing settings to 1280x800 in Display and changes Modes and adds
> lower resolution settings.
> There are no other Modes "1024x768" , settings in xorg.conf  than
> Section "Screen0"
> What is causing these settings changes in xorg.conf ?

The current behaviour of X is to poll the hardware, and automatically
select usable display modes according to what they claim their abilities
to be (monitor and display adaptor).  Then it automatically picks the
highest it can manage.

If you want a lower resolution, set it as a user preference (screen
resolution option in the user preferences section of the Gnome menus).

Some people have trouble with certain hardware producing bad answers
when it's polled (e.g. not getting as a high a resolution mode as they
want, despite the hardware actually supporting it; or getting modes that
simply do not work), and find that they have to manually pick the right
monitor type from the system Xorg configuration.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.