Re: Linux is KING - Couldn't be hacked - Mac, Vista went down in flames

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 06:30 +1000, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:

> On 2 Apr 2008 at 18:09, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> > On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 09:48 -0700, Les wrote:
> > > On my punch cards they did.  Every card had a number sequential to the
> > > sequence.  The punch we used inserted them automatically.  Well, the
> > > programming card did.  The reference number used for calls may have been
> > > different, but I don't remember it.
> >
> > Those weren't line numbers per se (in the sense that BASIC had line
> > numbers, for example).  In FORTRAN, an 80-column card was divided into
> > fields:
> >
> > Column 1: 'C' indicated a comment line, ' ' a code line.
> >

> Columnt 1-5: is for line numbers and on many compilers they had to be right
> aligned.

OK, but these are the statement labels described below, not line numbers
per se.

> > Column 2-6: Statement label numbers.  These were arbitrary numbers used
> > as targets for FORMAT, GOTO and "computed GOTO" (now *that* was a flow
> > control concept!), and DO statements.  These did not have to obey any
> > ordering rules.  There was no concept of an if-else block or a while
> > loop with a logical test, so flow control was handled by GOTOs of some
> > variety.  Targeted statements were usually CONTINUE statements (no-ops),
> > because there was some ambiguity regarding when the targeted statement
> > was actually executed, and because it made reorganizing the flow a bit
> > easier (especially with punchcards[1]).
> >

> Column 6: Was used for continuing information from the previous card.
> Generally putting a 1 in column 6 for the first continuation line, and 2, and so
> on, but most didn't care. COBOL uses Column 7 for this, and uses a hyphen
> if splitting a word or quoted text.

Damn, forgot the continuation character.

> > Column 7-72: Code.
> >
> > Column 73-80: Ignored.  Intended to be used for sequence numbers so you
> > could sort the cards down in order if somebody dropped the deck.  The
> > numbers could be anything really, for example a three-letter alpha code
> > identifying the deck and a four-digit sequence number.
> >
> > (Somebody is bound to correct me on the actual column numbers, now...)

Thanks for the corrections.  I wasn't near my FORTRAN Coloring Book
(Roger Kaufman, Cambridge, Massachusetts and London England, The MIT
Press, 1978. 285 pp., paperback ISBN 0 262 61026 4,
http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~kaufman1/FortranColoringBook/ColoringBkCover.html) when I wrote that.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences