Re: Linux is KING - Couldn't be hacked - Mac, Vista went down in flames

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 09:48 -0700, Les wrote:
> On my punch cards they did.  Every card had a number sequential to the
> sequence.  The punch we used inserted them automatically.  Well, the
> programming card did.  The reference number used for calls may have been
> different, but I don't remember it.

Those weren't line numbers per se (in the sense that BASIC had line
numbers, for example).  In FORTRAN, an 80-column card was divided into
fields:

Column 1: 'C' indicated a comment line, ' ' a code line.

Column 2-6: Statement label numbers.  These were arbitrary numbers used
as targets for FORMAT, GOTO and "computed GOTO" (now *that* was a flow
control concept!), and DO statements.  These did not have to obey any
ordering rules.  There was no concept of an if-else block or a while
loop with a logical test, so flow control was handled by GOTOs of some
variety.  Targeted statements were usually CONTINUE statements (no-ops),
because there was some ambiguity regarding when the targeted statement
was actually executed, and because it made reorganizing the flow a bit
easier (especially with punchcards[1]).

Column 7-72: Code.

Column 73-80: Ignored.  Intended to be used for sequence numbers so you
could sort the cards down in order if somebody dropped the deck.  The
numbers could be anything really, for example a three-letter alpha code
identifying the deck and a four-digit sequence number.

(Somebody is bound to correct me on the actual column numbers, now...)

Aside: In the early FORTRANs, the body of a loop was always executed
once, even though the test was at the top of the loop.  So you needed a
guard if you wanted to avoid making any passes through the loop at all.
That changed with FORTRAN 77.

[1] Of course, you'd want to re-sequence cards at some point if you
reordered them.