Re: ssh only after login

Christoph Höger wrote:
Hi,

I'm seeing something really strange on my F8 notebook.

When I use it as a secondary computer (ca. 1m away on my desk) I'm just
too lazy to go to it for doing something.
So in common I just ssh over to it. But when I do that now, I got "no
route to host" if I'm not logged in locally.
As soon as I log in, everything works.
Is that some kind of NM-configuration bug?
I would suppose ssh to work, when no one is logged in already, as that
is, what I tend to do: log in.

any comments on that?

Christoph
I think this is the way Network Manager works. It does not bring up the network interface until you log in. On the other hand, the network service will bring up the network without anyone being logged in.

While probably not accurate, I consider the network service for servers, and maybe desktops, and the NetworkManager service for laptops, where you are more likely to be changing networks often.

Mikkel