RE: Linux is KING - Couldn't be hacked - Mac, Vista went down inflames

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008, bruce wrote:

i recall my 1st use of a time share on the local university's machine..

my 7th grade math teach was taking colleges courses, in like 1972.. and she
had access to a tele-type machine with the dialup phone couple hooked to the
machine...

the machine created rollup punched out paper spools that we had written our
"basic" programs on....

i thought punch cards were a step up when i got into college later on!

i say all this as i cruise on a 4G-Mem/250G-Drive/17" laptop on a fast
wireless network!

my god i'm old!!!

<<snip>>

Not really. I know two oldsters who saw the transition from assember to FORTRAN et al. One of them (who got out of computing as a profession early on) had difficulties wrapping his head around macroassemblers, or at least that is what my brother who knows that individual better reports.