Re: BackupPC

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Les Mikesell wrote:

Backuppc is a perl script (or a few) and not at all hard to install on
CentOS.  The storage philosophy is a bit different between the two.
Backuppc will hardlink and eliminate duplicate copies of files across
target machines but a small change in a big file makes another complete
(compressed) copy.  Rdiff-backup will only match duplicates with
previous copies from the same place but small changes in big files are
saved as differences.

So which do you prefer?
It sounds to me as though BackupPC might be a little safer?

Re installation under CentOS, having just acquired a Dell PowerEdge T105
(very cheaply) as server, I've decided only to do what Dell tells me I can.
I do use the Epel Fedora-like repository,
so hopefully BackupPC will get in that fairly soon.

I can't imagine Dell telling you that you can't install a perl script.

I use/like backuppc but the advantages are mostly for backing up several systems. If you only have one or two machines to back up they are both good.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx