Re: kmail dead in water, using tbird I hope

On Monday 24 March 2008, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 09:48:16 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Monday 24 March 2008, Michael Schwendt wrote:

>> >Do you realise that it could be a segfault caused by corrupted input data
>> >and not by corrupted packages? Depending on what libkmailprivate does in
>> >this area of the code, it could be that it doesn't verify the input data
>> >enough as would be necessary to prevent it from crashing.
>>
>> Should I, when things settle, file a bugzilla against libkmailprivate.so?
>> Or whatever it is that manages the .index files?
>
>In the KDE bug tracker, yes. It's an error condition that ought to be
>handled IMO.

Update, sorry it wasn't quicker.  It was bad data, not kmail.  I had a totally
bogus debian-lists.index that wasn't a file, an ls -l showed it as the name
and everything else as ???? and it couldn't be deleted.  I did kill the rest
of the debian-users folder and data, and that let kmail run again.  Then
someone else said I should touch /forcefsck and reboot, and that fixed it
right up.  Took 40 minutes and a lot of y's but fixed it.

At this point, I am very solidly convinced that the 2.6.24 kernel I had been
running for a week or so, and which had crashed outright several times, or
gone on vacation for 30 seconds or more at a time, sometimes killing x, or
any number of other oddities, was the problem.  I managed to get another copy
of it built but without the 'tickless' option in the .config, and the machine
is a whole new machine, no hangs since.  I've also built 2.6.24.4 and that is
also working well ATM.  I posted a message on lkml that I didn't think
tickless was quite ready for prime time, at least on my hardware.

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)