Re: Fedora Makes a Terrible Server?

Les Mikesell wrote:
John Summerfield wrote:
Arthur Pemberton wrote:
On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 2:55 PM, Tim Alberts <talberts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 Honestly I feel like a backstabber by using CentOS because I've been
 with Fedora since before Fedora (RedHat 5.1 was my first Linux
experience), and using CentOS is reaping the benefits with no contribution.

You realize that technically speaking Redhat|Centos are infact Fedora,
albeit mature versions of it.

Not really. The testing that goes into RHEL is quite different.

And yet there are packages in RHEL5 that weren't rebuilt from their FC6 versions...

I'm not sure that's so[1], but if it is, so what?

It's the _distro_ testing that is the key difference. RH is betting its future on its RHEL releases. Problems with Fedora are trivially important in comparison (and arguably not RH's problems at all).

[1] I've seen EL packages that seem to be FC packages, but that might mean no more than the same spec file and that the spec file is not sensitive to the build environment. THis, for example, will look like a RHEL package even if built on Fedora:
 Name: fedora-ds
 Version: 1.0
 Release: 2.RHEL4
while some others expand %{dist} like so:
 Release: 2%{?dist}

--

Cheers
John