Re: Raid Card controller for FC System

Thomas Kappelmueller wrote:
edwardspl@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Thomas Kappelmueller wrote:

edwardspl@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Thomas Kappelmueller wrote:

Todd Denniston wrote:

Roger Heflin wrote, On 03/24/2008 02:20 PM:

edwardspl@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Alan Cox wrote:

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 15:39:22 +0800
edwardspl@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Dear All,

Which model / type of ATA Raid card controller is good for work
with New FC System ?
Would you please recommend ?

Almost every 'raid' controller for ATA devices is just driver
level raid,
so equivalent to using the built in lvm/md raid support that works
with
any devices. At the high end there are a few hardware raid cards
but they
rarely outperform ordinary ATA on PCI Express.

Edward,

The cheapest 4-port raid cards are typically $300US, the 8-port
cards are quite a bit more. If you are a home user I would suggest
not wasting your money on the HW raid, and has others mentioned it
is not really worth the extra money for a home user, so use software
raid.

Most of the cheaper cards are fakeraid and at best (if supported
under DMRAID) are only slightly better than software raid.

Roger

So would the better question be:
Which model / type of ATA multi-port card controller is good when you
want to do software RAID with New Fedora System?
i.e. which manufactures cards that you can hang 4+ drives off of,
have enough independence[1] between drives, that doing software RAID
works fast[2]?
Can you get 4+ port SATA cards that don't claim to be "RAID" cards?

Or has everything already been said here:
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html
http://linux-ata.org/faq-sata-raid.html

[1] I am making the old assumption that ATA drives on the same bus
slow each other down. Does that really matter with SATA?

[2] assuming the controller card is more likely to be the bottleneck
than the processor, PCI bus, or drives.

Hi!
http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html#matrix
I would buy a card which drivers have the most features.

I chose a cheap "Silicon Image"-chipped sata1 card (sata_sil driver).
Hotplugging etc is working fine.

The sata_sil24 is the SATA2 chip.

-Tom

Hello,

Would you mind tell me your web site of your card model ?

Thank for your comment!

Edward.

hi!
http://www.st-lab.com/productf.asp
It is the one with 4 Ports. It cost me something like 20€/25$

Btw I use Linux Software-Raid on it.
If you can't get that card just search google for something like
"SiI3114 controller card".

The newer chips are called Sil3124 and i think there are also some with
8 Ports but I'm not sure.

Hope that helps
-Tom

Hello,

Why didn't use hardware raid for the Linux ( FC ) System ?

Hardware-Raid is much more expensive and for home usage it is absolutely
not nesessary.

Is there two ports of S-ATA also ?

There is one card with 2 Sata Ports (Sil3112).

Does FC System built-in driver with it ?

The built-in FC8 driver works fine, no need to install additional content.

Thank for your comment again...

Edward.

Hello,

Just visited http://www.siliconimage.com/products/product.aspx?id=29
BUT it seems only support Windows System...
And also to http://www.siliconimage.com/products/product.aspx?id=28
It seem  support Linux System ( BUT NOT sure FC System )...

Edward.