Re: Raid Card controller for FC System

Todd Denniston wrote:
Roger Heflin wrote, On 03/24/2008 02:20 PM:
edwardspl@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Alan Cox wrote:

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 15:39:22 +0800
edwardspl@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Dear All,

Which model / type of ATA Raid card controller is good for work with New FC System ?
Would you  please recommend ?
Almost every 'raid' controller for ATA devices is just driver level raid,
so equivalent to using the built in lvm/md raid support that works with
any devices. At the high end there are a few hardware raid cards but they
rarely outperform ordinary ATA on PCI Express.

Edward,

The cheapest 4-port raid cards are typically $300US, the 8-port cards are quite a bit more. If you are a home user I would suggest not wasting your money on the HW raid, and has others mentioned it is not really worth the extra money for a home user, so use software raid.

Most of the cheaper cards are fakeraid and at best (if supported under DMRAID) are only slightly better than software raid.

                             Roger

So would the better question be:
Which model / type of ATA multi-port card controller is good when you want to do software RAID with New Fedora System? i.e. which manufactures cards that you can hang 4+ drives off of, have enough independence[1] between drives, that doing software RAID works fast[2]?
Can you get 4+ port SATA cards that don't claim to be "RAID" cards?

Or has everything already been said here:
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html
http://linux-ata.org/faq-sata-raid.html

[1] I am making the old assumption that ATA drives on the same bus slow each other down. Does that really matter with SATA?

[2] assuming the controller card is more likely to be the bottleneck than the processor, PCI bus, or drives.

Hi!
http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html#matrix
I would buy a card which drivers have the most features.

I chose a cheap "Silicon Image"-chipped sata1 card (sata_sil driver).
Hotplugging etc is working fine.

The sata_sil24 is the SATA2 chip.

-Tom